- The candidate will proofread and edit scientific articles primarily in the areas of oncology and cancer research. They will be expected to correct grammatical errors and revise vague or awkwardly constructed sentences so that they express the ideas of the authors in clear, accurate and concise language that adheres to the style of the journal.
- Professional experience editing science journal articles; experience in editing oncology, cancer research or related science areas helpful
- Background in science sufficient to understand the material being edited
- Close attention to detail and ability to adhere to the writing style of the journal
- Proficiency with English grammar
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Must be authorized to work in The United States for any employer
Duties will include:
- Checking manuscripts after acceptance, identifying areas requiring correction, and providing instructions to compositors
- Verifying compositors' work
- Corresponding with authors to resolve difficult quality issues
- Using custom software to create XML files based on set procedures
- Carefully maintaining records of file status in company tracking system
Ideal candidate will:
- Be a self-starter who can pick up assigned tasks and complete them timely without the need for reminders
- Be able to meticulously observe processing deadlines and log completed work
- Be available to work at least 25 hours per week, with ample opportunities for higher workload if desired
- Own a computer with a reliable internet connection
- Be comfortable with simple operation of custom software
- Be a reliable communicator
- Be located and authorized to work in USA without sponsorship
Prior experience in a production editor, compositor, copyeditor or a similar role is required. STM publishing experience strongly preferred.
Training for custom software will be provided. Experience with eXtyles will be a significant advantage.